Friday 14 February 2014

PLASTIC BOTTLE PROJECT second week

The second week aim  was to finish all research to do with the given material or building. Personally for me my research extended this date as  I was struggling to decide upon a product to make or to design. I found myself going very deep into my research and may be getting a bit tangled.  My research really started off at basics I was asking myself questions like how could get the best results out of the material. Each plastic has different uses the main plastic that we use is PET and is used for drinks, water bottles, because of its high resistance to acids. Meaning the plastic does not react. Knowing what your working with is very important as melting certain plastics can be very dangerous if not done in the right situation. 
 These pages are spider diagrams both done on "solving global warming" and the "effects of global warming". For me spider diagrams are a great creative way to get a point across without a essay of writing. 

By doing these pages I was refreshing myself on on the harsh effects global warming is having on our environment. It allowed me to explore what humans are doing to aid the cause. 

What I found hard? was scale down my research plastics and global warming have so much in common. Trying to get my research to the point that I could use it and understand it.

What i Enjoyed? Because of the material given to me the brief was so wide which allowed me to explore in detail. I was able to link my research  to what I think is important such as environmental messages installed into art instillation. 
Global warming booklet?
This three page booklet is a simple guide to "going green" and what we can do to combat global warming. What really made me think is how the topic of global warming is forgotten about, while sea levels rise nothing to prevent that is being done on a large enough scale. 

The "Go green" is a symbol of combating and doing your bit, from recycling, to turning off light switches and stopping the water slow while brushing your teeth. 

 Initial Ideas 

All sorts were going through my head when it came to initial ideas may be too many to be honest luckily I go them down on paper.  I decided on doing a more sculptural piece rather than designing a product of such.  I wanted to portray messages in my art that relate to environmental matters. 
  • some people feel no need to connect with people they don't know or with the outer world, they shy away from the bigger picture, leaving them disconnected from whats really going on. 
  • bottle could be a symbol of containment
  • could include actual water
  • privileged/ non privileged 
  • glue gunning
  • water being precious
  • someones little world inside a bottle
  • bottle is a metaphor for separations of lives. 
The bottle below was the idea of human hope the light at the end of the tunnel for people working 24/7 to fend for their families in poorer countries. I wanted to coat the bottle at the top with leaf Gold or golden paint to represent the hope that they strive for. Its also a message to the privileged that we really do have it easy, plus what we throw out ends up someplace else. The blue green colours represent the pile of rubbish that keeps expanding daily. 



  • The spiky design was my idea of using the glue gun to take apart different colour plastic to then put it all back together but in a more abstract form . 
  • The other one represents our marine life being killed off due to human participation. 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment