Tuesday 18 February 2014

Branding

Branding


Below are drawings of a few of my favorite pieces, the blue George Nelson block clock. The designer was trying to translate functional properties with utilitarian objects. The Block clocks represents high quality reproduction in the style of the original clock. Nelson used:

  • pure colour
  • bold graphic forms
  • modern materials
  • simple
  • good looking







The "Crying girl 1963" I only drew the eye not the full picture,  as during the 1950's and 1960's a majority of american artists began to adapt the imagery of motifs of comic strips. Lichtenstein made comic strips in 1958. 



Existing Logos Research

My logo is actually coming on leaps and bounds but making a brand is not just about your company. Research is also vital, I looked into a few brands such as Mercedes, McDonalds, and Nike. Back in the day logos were a mark or symbol to showcase the product. They are the same thing today but with a few changes, the modern day logo is a bit more flexible and adaptable to any type of media. 
The Nike logo "swoosh or tick" was intended to look like the wigs of the Greek goddess of victory. 
Other dominating logos include
  • Google
  • Adidas
  • apple
  • channel
  • virgin

"YAKI NOODLE" 
This page shows the different colours of which my logo could take,  I actually didn't go with any of these, eventually I went with a red and orange logo. 


 The colours used are shown above, for the Brand Guidelines you had to show the CMYK the percentage the colour is. Doing this allows another to find the exact colour you used to make the logo if they were to make the company.



Reflection: 
How did you get on with your given task/s?
The branding project was really fun and to this day was the best project, I think because it was totally graphic based it meant I had to go back relearn new skills which was enjoyable. It was also challenging because of the timescale we had 2 weeks to come up with  a new brand, and this wasn't easy. I was really pushed to my limits.  Branding my favorite food meant I traveled all over London to different restaurants and markets testing out the food and asking locals questions.  Designing a logo for the food you are highly passionate for was great and spurred me to on to design loads. 

When and how did you learn this and how will you further use these thoughts in future work? 
Branding is all about making an iconic company almost, For the final project may be branding might come in, meaning designing logos or posters.  The graphics project really made me think about presentation and how things are set out, because we had to make menu etc. 

What aspects of your work were you not happy with and why is this? 
I had one initial idea that got really good positive feedback from class mates in crits and I decided not to use it, and  looking back I don't know why I didn't.  I was fun, new, and modern.

Overall 8/10 for the crossover project.




This is me with my YAKI NOODLE T-SHIRT, using a online t shirt designer applied the logo and the text on the back, and got it printed. 














No comments:

Post a Comment