Tuesday 18 February 2014

Final week Bottle Project

Twitter 

Following on from last week research wise twitter was the next stop, many famous celebrities and sportsmen and women often follow environmental agencies or charities. Knowing this finding tweets wasn't so hard, I  found tweets from Ian Somerhalder who runs a charity called ISF.   I found these tweets because they are sending a message just like my project will, well hopefully.  


This one below hit a nerve, some of my initial ideas relate to this. In Bangladesh for example people work collecting scrap plastic as a job but they have hope that life will improve. Almost 50% of the total amount of food thrown away in the UK comes from our homes. We throw away 7 million tonnes of food and drink from our homes every year in the UK, andmore than half of this is food and drink we could have eaten.







Saving the Coral Reef 

The coral Reef is a protected site but plastic and human litter threaten this area.  Coral reefs have survived tens of thousands of years of natural change, but many of them may not be able to survive the havoc wrought by humankind.  The coral reef is under threat via Tourism, tourists visit the iconic waters but the petrol and propellers sometimes catch the reef destroying the natural habitat.  From this I decided to design  a product that protects the Reef . 


Flow diagram of my Making process 








To make the structure I used a thick wire that's easy to bend using your hands. I shaped the metal round a shampoo bottle, I did this for 6 times.  The metal is only there to be a support to the recycled plastic coating/ roof that will be on top. The recycled plastic roof serves as a message saying this please help protect this environment. 
 This is the structure, to join them a thin green wire or garden wire was attached round each piece, I did this twice one for each side.  Then because it kept moving I had to use sticky tape and Play do.  Obviously this is not the finished model I am still making it now. I hope to Photoshop it onto the coral Reef.   Just as an example I put cling film on it. 


Evaluation 
What went wrong ?
I think my initial ideas were good but very hard to portray in a model, I did try and recreate them but it just looked wrong. 
What went well ?
In this project it was really directed to what I feel strongly about, from looking at the art instillation's on the internet for example the fishes on Rio beach I was driven to do a piece not so much product but a fine art piece. Knowing this i looked into many art pieces that had a message to them. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment