Saturday 17 May 2014

Spray Painting the Medals

Authors own - spray painted medal

 Spray Painting 

Spray painting was my second option after trying out Gold leaf, what I learnt during the process was gold leaf only works when a material is non porous. What happened to me was the leaf was soaked up by the Plywood and with that all the important detail. 
The detail is the medals best quality so keeping this was a must.

Spray painting was easy but long winded in the fact lots of coats need to be done to get a nice matt finish. By having a matt finish it secures a smooth texture without covering the detail of engraving. 
The bronze is the most aesthetically pleasing due to its tint and reflection when you turn it. 

How many coats?
5/ 6 on each medal back and front

The project began with comparisons between previous medals and logos, and consideration of the necessary elements to show off the Brazil games in Rio 2016.
The requirements to design the medals visual clarity of components were most important.  It was observed that Nike the Greek goddess featured on medals from the last 3 Olympics, so she was included in my designs.
Spray painted medal - authors own 

 The Rio 2016 font by Dalton Magg inspired the design on my medal; the letters are created to look like they were drawn in a fast and furious movement ‘suggesting athletes in action.

How did I do it?
I used a spinner so I sprayed and turned the medal to make sure every surface and bit of the medal got an even spray.

















Analysis

What do you think was successful about your image?

The medals are truly linked to the lifestyle people in Rio have I tried to redesign them to be a more modern design.  I have used historical influences such as the goddess Nike who personified victory. Christ the Redeemer is another icon I have used on my medal, religion and faith all play a major role in their society.
That I have tried a number of materials and paints and Gold leaf to test out what's on the market to get the best result. I have found solutions when faced with a difficulty and this is all great design development.

What did you find easy?Spray painting was simple but just a waiting game and layering the paint to get a smooth even finish.

What did you find hard?
I was concious that I had only laser cut one final version of the medal each and that if I messed up I wouldn't have the time to cut others. The laser took one and a half hours to cut each one.








No comments:

Post a Comment