Friday 16 May 2014

Manufacture - Final Olympic Cauldron

Authors own - trying to bend them around household items
Authors own - 
 At this point still having the idea of using a geodesic dome was pretty clear but when manufacture started I soon discovered making a cylinder shape was far harder than I first thought.  Several tests were done around different household items such as bins, bowls etc but the shape designed  was impossible to shape around them.  I did try and glue gun to see what happens around a cylinder shaped object, but because plywood doesn't bend this was a major problem. From then on the idea had to change if it was going to work.

Triangle Idea 

The next idea I had was to create a triangle at 90 degrees out of the pieces gluing them together and then securing them at the tip. And this is what I did.
Below is the making process in pictures
The triangles were joined 4 on the bottom row, 3, 2 then 1. I glued them at the shoulder joint, the joints were actually stronger than I thought

Authors own- putting them into the correct design ready to glue

I made 4 in total then joined them at 90 degrees

 I tested quit a few glues from my local Hobby craft but the glue kept coming out too quickly making it hard to glue accurately.  
This is a major close up of one of the joints, by joining at the shoulder the glue had the best chance of drying. 
Authors own - the assembled triangle

Authors own - another assembled picture

Authors own - the colour looked old and worn due to the laser cutter burning the edges

Authors own me holding the glue

Authors own 



This is the final build the joints worked and all it needed was the glue unpicking, the colour actually looked great to me because where the laser cutter burnt the edges it makes it look aged.
The funnel is the section I'm currently still building at the moment


Analysis 

What was successful about the make?
The 90 degrees I thought wasn't going to work because of the shape of the parts i was attaching together I thought they would be too vulnerable break, but this was the opposite, glue gunning was solid and worked a treat. Another successful thing was that sometimes just making is the best way forward I obviously did drawings but I enjoyed making it slightly different to the initial ideas.






CONTEXT OF THE OLYMPIC CAULDRON 


When designing this to make it special and to stand out what the flame enables has to be much bigger than what's already been and gone. My design plan is to make sure the people can walk round the flame and be inside it and this will give everyone the chance to be a part of the flame and the Olympics. Rather like the torch replay mine will give everyone a chance to be close to the Olympic flame.  The flame is double insulated so when walking round the heat is not  noticeable to human skin



Authors own - The three completed files back and front








No comments:

Post a Comment