Monday 20 January 2014

week 2 pepper and salt shakers

The second week involved finalizing ideas and concepts ready to make the prototype models. Throughout my project De Stijl a design era was a running concept and having the pattern upon my salt and pepper was a modern way to keep the product interesting. 
Research was the key to this project, to really know the design eras in depth, 3 design  eras were chosen and looked at more closely. I designed especially for that era.  For example Modernism can be described as simple materials that include concrete, glass.  Modernism in design and architecture emerged in the aftermath if the first world war and the Russian Revolution. Many different styles can be characterized as modernist, but they both shared certain underlying principles: a rejection of history and applied ornament. A preference for abstraction, and a belief that design and technology could transform society. 
Development of The De Stijl pattern?  
I wanted the set to each have the same pattern which would make the set consistent. It would also make it clear as to which pot was made for which set. The pattern is already iconic but it would define my brand.


I experimented with different sizes of shakers to give them distinction and unique presence. The base would be magnetic allowing the shakers stability. The bigger picture shows the final drawing  the salt is the smaller design then the mustard pot then the pepper.


Making the 3D Model 

I used Polymorph  to model my pepper and salt, the plastic comes in pots it ranges from around 7 pounds to 12 pounds off Amazon. The plastic is a thermoplastic meaning it can be molded as many times as one wants. This made life easier for me as modelling the shape was hard to do so I had to reheat the plastic. Heat water to around 180 degrees add the plastic and watch it melt. Then take it out of the water and start molding, the plastic stays hot for around 15 minutes it turns a white silver colour when its fully dried out. 



Analysis 


Why this idea worked?
What I found was that they fitted exactly into the palm of the person using them, again using functionality rather than aesthetics for this project. The pattern was also the same on every object this created a set.

How did I get on with my given tasks?
Actually choosing a design out of all my initial ideas was the hard bit, from then on the development was actually really easy, it was also enjoyable experience. Seeing a product you have designed develop into something totally different is exhilarating.

What have I learnt from the second weeks tasks?
That having loads of initial ideas is ok, and that it allows the designer to play around more with the ideas rather than being secure with too few ideas.

How can you improve your current methods of planning and management of time?
I think by actually sitting down on the Sunday night looking at the brief for the next project and writing a plan and trying to keep with that. Overall my time planning was fine but tend to leave the making till the last week as I can be indecisive about what design I like the most to take forward.

















No comments:

Post a Comment